"That's what this is about. We listen for the voice of God as He challenges us to take the next step, to ascend to the next level. When we go there, we won’t remain comfortable for very long before we hear God’s voice inviting us up higher still. As we respond, new challenges, new beauty, new adventures await us. And all the while, almost unbeknownst to us, we’re becoming more and more like Jesus.”
~ Richard Dahlstrom, O2


Thursday, October 14, 2010

EGYPT: Setting the Scene

In a redemptive effort to revive my blog, I am going to post entries describing my recent trip to Egypt. I just returned two days ago, and starting with today, each successive day there will be a new post of my trip. It will almost be like it’s happening right now. So, the background …

There’s a couple named Sean and Jamie Davis who have been working at the Kibaale Community Centre for the past two years. Their term here is up, so they are heading back home to Vancouver, B.C. They have some awesome travel plans along the way – including Morocco, France, and England – but it all starts in Egypt. And I get to tag along! We will be traveling together for almost the whole trip, until I leave them for the last couple days. I wasn’t really ever planning on going to Egypt, but this opportunity was just way too good to pass up.

This is the first “real” vacation I’ve taken that I’ve fully paid for myself. And by “vacation,” I mean a trip that lasts at least a week and includes a flight. (I realize that most vacations don’t qualify under this definition, but it makes my point for now.) So it’s been fun and exciting to research and plan the trip together with Sean and Jamie. I won’t tell you all the details now – that’s what you’ll read about in the coming days. But the trip will include four days in Cairo, and early-morning climb of Mt. Sinai, three days on the beach in Dahab, and a couple days in Alexandria. It’s going to be a packed trip, but should still offer plenty of opportunity to relax and enjoy my time off.

Without further ado …

No comments:

Post a Comment